tech lessons: El Museo Del Prado Challenge
Title:El Museo Del Prado Challenge
Level: High School
Timeframe: One 45-minute class
Materials Needed: CD-ROM Masterpieces of the Prado Museum from LADAC Multimedia
Description of Task: Art plays an important role in the cultures of the countries in which Spanish is spoken. This activity tries to get the students to discover many interesting facts and ideas about the Spanish painters represented in this, one of the world's great art museum, while at the same time competing against peers and time.
A worksheet is provided that students must answer within a specific time period. The students may play individually, but it is recommended that students play in groups of two so that the activity does not have to be spread over too long a time period. Students may be allowed to answer the entire worksheet and their time recorded, or they may be given a specific amount of time and then graded on the number of questions they have answered correctly.
- An explanation of the role of Art in the Spanish culture would be beneficial, especially to students who have not been exposed to this area.
- Students should form groups of two the day before this activity is to begin
- Each team should be clear on how to get to the main menu before the activity is to begin (double click on the my computer icon, then "D" Drive, then prado.exe).
- Divide the classroom period into 3 equal segments (6, if your school follows the block double period schedule). Assign one segment to each team for as many days as it takes to give everyone a chance (if there is more than 1 computer in the room and if more than one edition is available, then more than one team can compete at the same time). For example, for a 42-minute period, each team will have 14 minutes to play and 3 teams will get to compete each day until the whole class has had a turn. If the students know when their time slot is and on which day, then they can watch for the time when they will go to the computer. A list could be posted in a prominent place so that the students could check it as they enter each day.
- Have the worksheets copied and ready for the students when it is their turn.
- The first group of two students should go to the computer(s) in the classroom as soon as the period begins. They need to find as many answers to the worksheet as they can if the time allotted. The number they have answered correctly when their time has expired is their score.
- Each succeeding team should watch the time for their time-slot and move to the computer(s) when it is their time.
- Variation: Each team could be given as much time of the period as they wish, and they have finish, their time is recorded. Their score would be the amount of minutes they needed plus the number of questions that are not answered correctly. The team with the lowest score wins.
Delaware Valley Regional HS
19 Senator Stout Road
Frenchtown, NJ 08825