Antonio Gaudí: El Misterio Foreign Language (Spanish)
Antonio Gaudí: El Misterio
Foreign Language (Spanish)
Level: Grade 7 - HS
- Students will be exposed to architectural works of Antonio Gaudí.
- Students will synthesize information gained and convey a real estate advertisement in Spanish in an oral, written and artistic manner.
- Vocabulary and grammar concepts to be used with oral and written proficiency include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Descriptive adjectives and agreement
- The verb "Ser"
- Vocabulary related to homes and rooms
- Persuasive sentence construction
Depending on level of Spanish, students will use either English or Spanish multimedia sources to locate facts on one Gaudí work with a partner (predetermined). Students use the spoken, written and visual Spanish language to create a real estate advertisement to include a persuasive poster, PowerPoint presentation with an oral component and a reaction paragraph.
- Create/obtain diagrams and lists of vocabulary relating to homes, rooms and real estate.
- Obtain photos of most eclectic works of Gaudí.
- Create a model PowerPoint presentation and real estate advertisement to share product expectations.
- Create a project outline to be distributed to students including requirements, product expectations, timeline and rubric(s).
- Make the necessary arrangements for space and reserve dates in computer lab.
- Create predetermined pairs of students to collaborate on project
- Create pretend pesetas to be used in fantasy purchase of buildings.
||In a class setting, locate Barcelona on map and discuss characteristics of the city (import, export, geographical features, etc.)
||Pique students' interest by sharing realia such as personal photos, maps, etc. of Gaudí works.
||Ask and respond to oral comprehension questions in Spanish including answers that express opinions, likes, and dislikes.
||Present initial house/room vocabulary orally paired with visual charts which identify written vocabulary for reference.
||Explain project guidelines and expectations, display sample poster and orally present sample PowerPoint.
||Over 5 days of scheduled computer tab/media center time students are to:
- Research their one Gaudí edifice (randomly drawn from a pool) using CD ROM program, Internet and reference sources.
- Compile PowerPoint presentation describing their edifice in Spanish (min. 6 slides).
|3.2, 3.1, 2.2
||1-1, 3-2, 4-3, 4-5, 5-3, 5-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 8-5, 8-6
||When completed, in class, students are to orally present (in pairs) their PowerPoint presentations and posters — acting as if they were agents trying to persuade a buyer.
||5-3, 5-6, 6-4,
||At home students are to create a poster containing the following:|
- Image of edifice
- Spanish description (min. 5 sentences)
- Persuasive advertising (rain. 3 sentences)
- Purchase price (in realistic Spanish monetary unit)
*Exchange rate info. is to be covered in Math class.
|3.1, 1.2, 2.2
||After oral presentations student pairs in audience make offers in Spanish (in auction style) on different buildings. The highest bidder is to imagine that they purchased the dwelling.
||At home, each pair of students is to write a paragraph in Spanish stating where they now live and describing their new house/apartment. Additionally, each pair must express like and dislike reactions to their recent purchase.
Tools and Resources
Web sites: Any website pertaining to Antonio Gaudí (students can search on their own)
Software: Gaudí - D.R. Multimedia, Barcelona (España)
Reference Books: Encyclopedias, etc.
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Oral Presentation
- Reaction Paragraph
Tinton Falls School
Tinton Falls, NJ