Count and describe clothing using direction words and a TPR series:
- Ask the students to point to (Señalen la camisa amarilla.) or touch (Toca los pantalones azules.) the object.
- Ask yes or no (sí o no) questions about what it is (¿Es un/una camisa blanca? ¿Son unos calcetines rojos?). Ask what color it is (¿De qué color es?). Ask the students to put (Pon los calcetines verdes en el tendedero.) the clothing on the clothesline.
- Describes the position of the clothing on the line by saying it is to the left, the right, or in between (La camisa blanca está a la izquierda de la camisa amarilla.).
- Have students move objects on clothesline following teacherís direction.
- Then ask students where each item is on the clothesline (¿Dónde está la camisa amarilla?) and have them describe its location.
- Give students paper and markers to design their own clothesline (or assign this activity for homework). Ask student volunteers to be ready to describe their clotheslines to the class. Let them practice their descriptions with a partner before their final presentations. The partner can give feedback (in English if necessary) about understandability, pronunciation, and accuracy of the description.
- Create a peer sheet on which the students evaluate their peerís presentation. In the following example the students fill in their peerís name and circle the best answer about that peerís presentation:
1. I could understand:
all of most of some of none of
2. Jasonís pronunciation:
was excellent was good needs work
3. Jasonís description of the clothesline had:
no errors a few errors many errors
Objectives: TLW understand and respond to direction words using a clothesline; TLW understand and respond to the names of the clothing on the clothesline. TLW describe a picture of a clothesline to the class.
Language in Use: unos pantalones azules, una camisa blanca, una camisa amarilla, unos calcetines verdes, unos calcetines rojos, el tendedero, señalen, toca, sí, no, ¿Es un/una ___?, ¿Son unos/unas ____?, ¿De qué color es?, Pon los pantalones a la izquierda de la camisa blanca. (a la derecha de, entre), ¿Dónde están los calcetines rojos? Los calcetines rojos están a la derecha de los pantalones negros. La camisa blanca está entre los pantalones azules® y la camisa amarilla. (añada más ropa y colores si desea)
Materials: Piece of rope for clothesline, clothespins, pair of red socks, pair of green socks, pair of blue pants, a yellow shirt, and a white shirt, (add other clothing such as shorts, a sweater, a jacket, a hat, etc., if desired) paper and markers, peer evaluation sheet.
Communication 1.1: Students provide and obtain information about the color and location of clothing on a clothesline when they answer questions and give commands.
Communication 1.2: Students understand and interpret spoken language about clothing when they respond to the directions used in the TPR sequence.
Communication 1.3: Students present information to the class when they show their pictures and describe their own clotheslines.