Using a Gouin Series, teacher instructs students how to make an animal puppet.
- First the teacher describes and models each step of the series (using a paper bag while the students just watch and listen.
- Then s/he repeats the oral instructions and the students do the actions along with him or her.
- Next the students repeat the oral instructions after the teacher as they also do the actions.
- And finally, the students do the actions and describe the steps on their own.
- Write the steps on chart paper for the students to refer to and give them time to make their puppets.
¡Hagamos un Títere!
- Toma una bolsa de papel.
- Pon la mano en la bolsa. Abre y cierra la boca del animal.
- Corta pedazos de papel para las partes de la cara.
- Pega la cara a la bolsa.
- Corta pedazos de papel para el cuerpo, las patas, y la cola.
- Pega el cuerpo a la bolsa.
- Es un gato y dice miau.
Assessment: Are students participating in the Gouin Series by doing the actions and saying the words? After the series are they making their puppets according to the series? Is the puppet thoughtfully made and/or creative with interesting details and many parts or is it hastily done with few details? Does the student know the name of the animal and the sound it makes?
Objectives: TLW understand the names of the animals in Spanish by creating a puppet of an assigned animal.
Language in Use: Gouin series, el perro, el elefante, el mono, el pájaro, el pajarito, el gato, el gatito, el mono, el león, el caballo, el tigre
Materials: markers/ crayons/ colored pencils, chart paper, colored construction paper, brown paper lunch bags, scissors, glue
Communication 1.3: Students present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics by making puppets.
Connections 3.1: Students reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines, such as, Science and Art, through the foreign language by making puppets.