Topic: Personal Description
Focus Age Group: 10 - 14 years
National Standards Goals:
Communication Cultures Connections Comparisons Communities
Interpersonal Interpretive Presentational
New Jersey Cumulative Progress Indicators:
- 7.1.8 Create and respond to simple phrases, questions, and sentences
- 7.1.9 Describe people, places, things, and events with some detail
- 7.1.14 Organize thoughts into coherent oral speech
Timeframe: One 40 - 50 minute period
Description of task:
- You are eating lunch with your family at a sidewalk cafe when a stranger runs up, steals the enchiladas off your plate, and runs away.
- You will draw a full-figure color picture of the enchilada thief, including all details on the attached chart.
- You will describe the enchilada thief to a "police artist" (a student partner), who will draw exactly what you describe. The artist may ask questions to clarify or to obtain additional information.
- Your teacher will use the detail checklist to assess your communication with the police artist, as well as to assess your partner's understanding of your oral description.
Materials: Drawing paper, colored pencils, crayons, or markers.
Required vocabulary preceding this activity includes personal description, colors, and articles of clothing. During this activity, the teacher should circulate around the room, monitoring the use of the target language.
||Every detail accurately described/drawn
||Twelve to fifteen details accurately described/drawn
||Does not meet expectations
||Fewer than twelve details accurately described/drawn
Clinton Public School
10 School Street
Clinton, NJ 08809
_____ Body Type
_____ Hair, length
_____ Hair, style
_____ Hair, color
_____ Eye color
_____ Facial Hair
_____ Clothing (minimum 3 items named, described)
_____ Accessories (minimum 2 items named, described)
Teacher will place a check mark for each detail accurately described/drawn; X for each detail inaccurately described/drawn; 0 for details omitted in description or drawing.